World Cup champion and Chicago Red Stars captain Christen Press joins 120Sports to discuss the NWSL season, the USWNT’s loss to France and the U.S. Women’s Hockey Team’s fight for equal pay.
Here’s what’s coming up in the world of Chicago Local 134:
1. Membership renewal: If you’d like to renew your commitment to supporting the Red Stars with Local 134, the cost is still $20. Your donation will go toward:
- Buying an official 134 tailgate grill
- Food and supplies for tailgates
- Supplies for making signs and banners
- Drum maintenance
- New friends for Tiny Christen?
- Megaphone batteries (essential)
Membership will include a pair of Local 134 sunglasses.
2. Shirts: We’re a little behind the curve on getting shirts ready, but if anyone knows of a local place that’ll do 50 shirts at a reasonable price per unit, let me know! We’re also taking designs for the following concept:
- Red shirt, white design (or really, any combination, just avoiding black or gray shirts, because we’ve already had those)
- Text: “My Kind of Team”
A t-shirt will not be included in membership this year, but members will be able to buy their shirts at a discount.
3. Pre-season watch parties: Keep an eye on Facebook/Twitter for more info
4. First away game: CRS @ Houston, April 15, AJ Hudson’s (3801 N Ashland Ave) — back room, 1:00pm
5. First home game: CRS vs. FCKC, April 22, Toyota Park (more details to follow)
6. Tailgate volunteers needed: I’m hoping to be more on top of our tailgate game this year. In order to do that, I’ve created a sign-up list for people who are interested in taking responsibility for a tailgate for individual home games. Volunteers will be responsible for all the necessary arrangements for tailgate food (not for drinks!). This is not a financial commitment– just a commitment of time!
If you have friends who are interested in joining Local 134 please send this to them and feel free to direct them to me with any questions.
I hope to see you all soon!
The Red Stars’ owner, Arnim Whisler, has filled out a bracket and you can challenge him to win not just bragging rights, but also a Red Stars Prize Pack.
In a nice touch, this is a women’s tournament bracket, so you still have another day to make your picks before the first game tips off on Friday.
Join Arnim’s group here!
The Pace Toyota Park Express will be running from the Midway CTA Orange Line Station directly to Toyota Park for six Red Stars home matches this year!
The buses start 2 hours before kickoff and run every 20 minutes.Return service to the Midway CTA Orange Line Station departs Toyota Park 30 minutes after the match concludes. Fare is $1.75.
The six Red Stars matches are:
- Saturday, 5/6 vs. Houston
- Sunday, 6/4 vs. Seattle
- Saturday, 6/17 vs. Washington
- Saturday, 7/22 vs. Orlando
- Wednesday, 8/16 vs. Seattle
- Sunday 8/20 vs. KC
4pm in the back room at A.J. Hudson’s! Cheer on the USWNT and our Red Stars players against England.
Check out chicagoredstars.com/schedule for the exact times.
Join us at A.J. Hudson’s in Chicago on Saturday, March 4th @ 4:00pm to kick off the 2017 CRS season and cheer on the USWNT against England. Bring ideas for the new season!
Never been to a watch party before? Not an *official* Local 134 member? No problem! Head to the back room at A.J.’s and say hi. We can’t wait to meet you. #MKOT
The Red Stars open the season just like last year, taking on the Houston Dash at BBVA Compass Stadium on Saturday, April 15th.
The team’s home opener at Toyota Park will be Saturday, April 22nd versus rival FCKC. Join us for the game as we prove the Red Stars are BEST IN THE MIDWEST!